The Collective is a mysterious, hivemind-like group of entities. Each member has been converted into a powerful being by the Slender Man.
According to the Observer's Formspring answers, the Collective has been around for a very long time, existing at the time of World War II in the 1940's, and most likely a very long time before then. The Collective's numbers are unquantifiable, but there are several prominent members. The Collective is described as a limb of the Slender Man. The Collective exists in a separate realm, where time moves non-linearly.
Each member has their own obligations, and each appears to be following different people. The Observer follows Noah and Deadhead appears to have been following Sebastian, the writer of Karl's journal. There is also some evidence to support that Mr.Scars was/is following Mary Asher, although this is not confirmed.
- Observer: Most well-known member. Wears glasses and has long hair. Referred to as "The Eyes". His original title was "The Sentinel". The contents of a package sent by the Observer that were tweeted by Noah on November 9, 2012 confirm that Kevin is the Observer's vessel.
- Deadhead: Wears a skull mask. Most likely followed Sebastian and is possibly following Karl Maxwell. Deadhead's name comes from the German word Totenkopf, which means "death's head". He is referred to by the Observer as "The Nationalist".
- Mr. Scars: Referred to by the Observer as a "pawn", as well as "The Burdened". Mary desperately asks Noah who Mr.Scars is in Mary Asher Phone Call.
- Cursor: Cursor is Latin for "messenger", she is the only known female member of the Collective. She appears with X's over her eyes, and she is referred to by the Observer as "The Selfish". Noah has mentioned that Cursor bears resemblance to both his mother and Mary Asher.
- Persolus: Persolus is Latin for "quite alone", his visage resembles that of an old man, and he is referred to by the Observer as "The Hermit".
- Swain: The person to the Observer's left. He has been shown wearing a theater mask and an old European soldier uniform. He is referred to as "The Lover" .
- Firebrand : The person with the pinhole eyes and smile. Referred to by the Observer as "The Stubborn". He tried to save Noah intsead of assisting the Observer in "taking" Noah in "November 11th". The Live Stream Incident reveals Firebrand to be Noah.
During the Valentine's Day 2012 stream, the Observer tweeted several images of each member of the Collective, along with a title for each and a text symbol of a chess piece.
The chess pieces are meant to represent the "game" that is being played by the members of the Collective. Each "player" (which includes the Collective members and several other people) is represented by a chess piece, either black or white. The significance of the teams has not yet been revealed, but several Collective members are on opposing teams. Notably, Firebrand, who as of the INTERCEPTION video has been revealed to be on "[Noah's] side" (and thus in direct opposition to Slender Man/the Observer), is the "king" of the white pieces.
During the Valentines' Day Live Stream, the Observer confirmed to Noah that he was a chess piece, but hasn't revealed which one.
In a user-based message on Adam's tumblr, he mentions that the chess pieces likely represent the Collective as black pieces and the humans as white pieces.
(Note that the colors of the pieces below may not show up correctly in the Wikia layout, due to the wiki's font color scheme. In MonoBook, aka classic or Wikipedia-style layout, they should display correctly.)
|Described as "onedividedbyzero".|
|Describes himself as "asentinelbytradepasthisexpirationdate".|
|Mr. Scars||The Burdened||♖|
|Described as "theonewhokillsmary", hinting towards him "Ending" Mary Asher's "Session".|
|Taken by the Observer / Black Rook.|